GLOBE Colombia entered the GLOBE International network in 2009. The group formed by legislators from all political parties of both branches of the Colombia Congress aims at concerted action among legislators to improve the overall environmental situation in the South American country and in the region. GLOBE Colombia participates in the exchange of all relevant information among parliamentarians within the worldwide GLOBE community to allow the comparison of existing laws on environment, support actions towards the preservation of the global environment and proposed legislation in every country.
GLOBE Colombia promotes political leadership on issues of energy security and climate change, its impact on land use change and economic growth, population and its impact on ecosystems, and supports climate change legislation in a way that translates into policies and practical solutions to regional and international level. Legislators play a substantial role in meeting international commitments made by the country.
The current President of GLOBE Colombia is the Senator Mauricio Ospina Gómez (Polo Democrático Alternativo). Vice-President is the Deputy Juan Diego Gómez Jiménez (Partido Conservador Colombiano).
GLOBE Colombia was originally formed on the 27th January 2009 and was reformed on the 2nd February 2012. Deputy Simon Gaviria Munoz, the current President of the Chamber of Representatives of Colombia became the President of GLOBE Colombia on the 1st of July 2010. Senator Ospina Gómez became the President with the Resolution of both Houses in February 2012.
GLOBE Colombia is set to host the Bogoto Trilateral Summit October 2013, where Mexican, Peruvian and Colombian legislators will participate in a regional dialogue on climate change, natural capital and forest legislation.
GLOBE Colombia aims at:
- Linking legislators with the decision-making process with regard to environmental issues in the country.
- Enhancing the knowledge and active participation of legislators in environmental issues.
- Conducting a mapping of climate change legislation in Colombia.
- Supporting the achievement of an international agreement on climate change.
- Recognising the environmental policies of Colombia.
- Promoting the mobilization of knowledge of natural resources and natural capital on Climate Change, facilitating the integration of knowledge between experts and the general community.
- Promoting awareness in political and community leaders.
- Leading international integration in the areas of climate change and biodiversity protection.
The Board of GLOBE Colombia is elected after the reformation of the chapter in the new legislature of the Colombian Congress. The current Board is chaired by Senator Mauricio Ospina Gómez (Polo Democrático Alternativo).