The Global Legislators Organisation (GLOBE) in the Philippines was established on November 26, 2013 and was formally accepted as a National Chapter of the GLOBE network on February 28, 2014 during its Annual General Assembly (AGM) in Washington D.C. The group is comprised of 30 parliamentarians representing major political parties and party-list groups of the bicameral parliament.
Congresswoman Susan A. Yap was elected as the first Chair of the group in the lower chamber. Subsequently, on February 5, 2014 during the GLOBE Philippines formation meeting at the upper chamber, Senator Loren B. Legarda was elected as Chair of the upper chamber. Both Senator Legarda and Congresswoman Yap share the Chair of GLOBE Philippines.
At the inaugural meeting of the group, the founding members outlined an initial action plan for GLOBE Philippines. These are as follows:
· Campaigning for the creation of a Climate Change and Disaster Management Committee in the House of Representatives;
· Working to promote regular consultation and dialogue between the executive and legislative branches of government in the country;
· Coordinating action to strengthen Congress's oversight functions Promoting the regular discussion of climate issues among Philippine legislators;
· Advocating for more proactive engagement of President Aquino on climate change issues;
· Promoting the engagement of legislative staff with GLOBE Philippine through secretariat support, capacity building and fellowship.
Members came together to work across party political lines to campaign for better oversight of national responses to disasters and the impacts of climate change. Currently, the group is finalizing its legislative agenda and policy statements.